fbpx
Breaking News

Caseload Report 4th Quarter 2021

The total number of cases filed before CRCICA until 31 December 2021 reached 1535 cases. In the fourth quarter of 2021, 18 new cases were filed compared to 19 new cases filed in the fourth quarter of 2020. Of the 18 cases filed this quarter, 7 were for ad hoc proceedings.

The Centre’s caseload in the fourth quarter of 2021 involved disputes relating to various sectors, including Tourism & Hospitality, Corporate Restructuring, Media & Entertainment, Construction, Health, Oil & Gas, International Sale of Goods and Banking & Finance.

Three cases related to the tourism and hospitality sector. The first case involved a lease agreement for a commercial space in a project located in Sheikh Zayed, Egypt between two Egyptian companies. Two cases involved hotel management agreements. The first case related to a management and operation agreement for a hotel located in South Sinai, Egypt between two Egyptian companies. The second case related to a management agreement for a hotel located in 6th October, Egypt between an Egyptian company and a Liechtensteiner company.

Two cases related to corporate restructuring. The first case involved an agreement to purchase shares in an Egyptian company operating in the agricultural sector between two Egyptian parties. The second case involved a shareholders’ agreement governing certain shareholders’ exit from a real estate development company in Egypt.

One case related to the media & entertainment sector, it involved a record agreement between an Emirati record label and an Egyptian artist.

One case related to the construction sector, it involved an agreement for the construction of a building skeleton and enclosure for a project in Sheikh Zayed, Egypt between two Egyptian companies.

One case related to the medical sector, it involved a partnership agreement for the establishment of a medical centre in Fifth Settlement, Egypt between two Egyptian parties.

One case related to the oil & gas sector, it involved an agreement for the supply of natural gas between two Egyptian companies.

One case related to public procurement, it involved an agreement for the provision of waste management services in Cairo, Egypt between two Egyptian companies.

One case related to the banking & finance sector, it involved a consultancy agreement for accounting works between two Egyptian parties.

One case related to export-import, it involved a purchase agreement for a chemical compound between an Italian company and an Egyptian company.

One case involved an agreement for the international sale of goods between an Egyptian company and a British company.

One case related to public utilities, it involved an agreement for the supply and distribution of electricity in a residential project located in the Red Sea Governorate, Egypt between two Egyptian companies.

One case involved a lease agreement for a factory located in Alexandria between two Egyptian parties. One case involved a membership agreement for a club located in Ain Sokhna, Egypt, between two Egyptian parties. One case related to an agreement for the distribution of paint and coating products in South Africa, between an Egyptian company and a South African company. One case related to a joint venture agreement between two Egyptian parties.

Arbitration proceedings in this fourth quarter involved 5 Non-Egyptian parties, namely from the Italy, Liechtenstein, South Africa, the United Arab Emirates and the United Kingdom. It is worth noting that these conservative figures do not include Egyptian companies owned or ultimately controlled by non-Egyptian shareholders.

The fourth quarter of 2021 witnessed the appointment of 32 arbitrators, including 2 Non-Egyptian arbitrators from Sudan and France.

Of the 32 arbitrators appointed this quarter, 2 were female arbitrators and 2 were under 40.     

The Centre acted as appointing authority for some cases, appointing 7 of the 32 arbitrators appointed this quarter (representing 21% of the appointments), including 1 non-Egyptian arbitrator.

CHART – LANGUAGE OF PROCEEDINGS

Amongst the 18 cases filed in this quarter, 14 cases, representing 78% of cases, were conducted in Arabic, and the other 4 cases, representing 22% of cases, were conducted in English.

HEARINGS:

Since 1 October 2021, CRCICA has hosted 41 hearings. 13 related to ad hoc arbitrations, 3 related to mediation proceedings and the rest related to CRCICA arbitrations.

Since the outbreak of COVID-19, users have been encouraged to privilege remote hearings. During the fourth quarter of 2021, 6 hearings were held fully remotely, representing 15% of hearings, 2 hearings were held with hybrid attendance, representing 5% of hearings and the remaining 33 hearings were held with physical attendance (in compliance with the Centre’s social distancing guidelines), representing 80% of hearings.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.